The Belle Isle Conservatory located on Belle Isle is one of the nation’s oldest glasshouses still in existence. The Albert Khan designed building known for its glass dome was inspired by Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello and opened August 18, 1904. The 85-foot-high dome was originally constructed of wood and in the 1950’s was rebuilt with a steel and aluminum structure.
The conservatory is undergoing another major renovation to preserve the historic landmark. The Department of Natural Resources and Belle Isle are restoring the integrity of the dome structure, known as the Palm House.
MEGA flew the structure and captured high resolution imagery to assist in the architects in the analysis of the structure. The scope of work proposed by the State, includes the removal and replacement of the glass panes and deteriorating structural steel truss columns, original to the 1904 structure, with new galvanized assemblies.
298 Veterans Drive
Fowlerville, MI 48836